August 10, 2015
"New River Current, August issue is the best and most informative newsletter yet! Thanks to all who contributed – and a special thanks to Ken Lynn for putting it altogether. Certainly deserving of another 5 star streamer!!"
Lee & Mannon Eldreth
A special note sent into the website and I couldn't agree more! Thanks, Lee for your kind words.
July 16, 2015
* The Commissioned Officers Association of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) sent out this flyer to congratulate the 6,700 commissioned officers serving in the USPHS, one of only two non-combatant corps of the nation's commissioned services...left click on the image to open/read the statement.
* BRAVO ZULU, USPHS!
June 9, 2015
Pictured is New River Chapter President, CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. presenting the MOAA JROTC Leadership Award to Cadet Captain Lauren Nicole Testerman at the Ashe County High School Award Ceremony on June 9, 2015.
Congratulations to JROTC Cadet Captain Testerman as she completes her Junior year in the ACHS JROTC program.
The "Chapters in Action" page (p. 47) in the June edition of the Military Officer Magazine published information regarding winning entries in the 2014 Col. Marvin J. Harris Communication Awards contest.
* In paragraph three, the North Carolina Council E-Newsletter Winners were singled out as "having dominated the e-newsletter category!
* Congratulations and kudos go out to all our winners:
- CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, NC Council 1st VP for "Council Connections"
- COL Juan Chavez, Cape Fear President for "A Gram of Info"
- CDR Ron Wilsbach, Charlotte-Metrolina Chapter for "The Gouge"
April 30, 2015 and May 2, 2015
* Officers of the New River Chapter participated in Junior Reserve Officer Training award ceremonies at the Wilkes Central HS and the North Wilkes HS on April 30 and May 2, 2015.
* Pictured (upper right) are New River Board member, MAJ Lou Burge, USAF-Ret. with Cadet Technical Sergeant Cordell Draves who was Squadron Superintendent at the Wilkes Central HS USAF JROTC program under the leadership of MAJ Brad Kitts, USAF.
* Pictured (lower right) is New River Chapter President, CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. with USAF JROTC commander, Lt Col Tim Fuller, USAF, Cadet Second Lieutenant Heaven Walker and North Wilkes HS Principal Michelle Shepherd.
Congratulations to each of these JROTC leaders as they complete their Junior year in their respective USAF JROTC programs.
May 2, 2015
* New River Chapter President CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. presented a $1000 Memorial Sears Scholarship to graduating senior Cadet Second Lieutenant Melisa Gonzalez at the North Wilkes HS USAF JROTC Awards Ceremony held on May 2, 2015 at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church in Wilkesboro, NC.
* Picutured (right) is the North Wilkes HS USAF Commander, Lt Col Tim Fuller, USAF, CAPT Ehrhardt, Cadet Gonzalez and the North Wilkes HS Principal, Michelle Shepherd.
* CAPT Ehrhardt attended the North Wilkes HS award program as part of the school's ceremony on June 2, 2015 and once again presented Cadet Gonzalez with the award as part of the North Wilkes HS award ceremony at the Stone Center in North Wilkesboro.
May 2, 2015
* The New River Chapter once again participated in providing support to the annual New River Marathon by manning one of the refreshment stations along the route.
* This year, due to a new course layout, we cheered on the 1/2 marathon runners from 8:00 to 10:00 AM and the full marathon runners from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
* Pictured (L to R) are Mik Mikulan, Cathy Ehrhardt, Steve Tucker, Betty Schuette, Ron Schuette, Monica Madden-Lynn and Doug Ehrhardt.
* The thumbnail shots to the right also show Doug Ehrhardt prepping a tray of endurance gel, small cups with M&M's and slices of bananas to help the runners nutritional needs near the end of the 26.2 mile route.
* The other picture is a shot of our tent with water and GatorAide on the race course...it was a BEAUTIFUL day for a race!
THANKS TO ALL THESE VOLUNTEERS for helping to support the marathon runners, but also support to our chapter as we receive a nice donation from the New River Marathon organizers for our scholarship program!