June 9, 2015
Pictured is New River Chapter President, CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. presenting the MOAA JROTC Leadership Award to Cadet Captain Lauren Nicole Testerman at the Ashe County High School Award Ceremony on June 9, 2015.
Congratulations to JROTC Cadet Captain Testerman as she completes her Junior year in the ACHS JROTC program.
The "Chapters in Action" page (p. 47) in the June edition of the Military Officer Magazine published information regarding winning entries in the 2014 Col. Marvin J. Harris Communication Awards contest.
* In paragraph three, the North Carolina Council E-Newsletter Winners were singled out as "having dominated the e-newsletter category!
* Congratulations and kudos go out to all our winners:
- CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, NC Council 1st VP for "Council Connections"
- COL Juan Chavez, Cape Fear President for "A Gram of Info"
- CDR Ron Wilsbach, Charlotte-Metrolina Chapter for "The Gouge"
April 30, 2015 and May 2, 2015
* Officers of the New River Chapter participated in Junior Reserve Officer Training award ceremonies at the Wilkes Central HS and the North Wilkes HS on April 30 and May 2, 2015.
* Pictured (upper right) are New River Board member, MAJ Lou Burge, USAF-Ret. with Cadet Technical Sergeant Cordell Draves who was Squadron Superintendent at the Wilkes Central HS USAF JROTC program under the leadership of MAJ Brad Kitts, USAF.
* Pictured (lower right) is New River Chapter President, CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. with USAF JROTC commander, Lt Col Tim Fuller, USAF, Cadet Second Lieutenant Heaven Walker and North Wilkes HS Principal Michelle Shepherd.
Congratulations to each of these JROTC leaders as they complete their Junior year in their respective USAF JROTC programs.
May 2, 2015
* New River Chapter President CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret. presented a $1000 Memorial Sears Scholarship to graduating senior Cadet Second Lieutenant Melisa Gonzalez at the North Wilkes HS USAF JROTC Awards Ceremony held on May 2, 2015 at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church in Wilkesboro, NC.
* Picutured (right) is the North Wilkes HS USAF Commander, Lt Col Tim Fuller, USAF, CAPT Ehrhardt, Cadet Gonzalez and the North Wilkes HS Principal, Michelle Shepherd.
* CAPT Ehrhardt attended the North Wilkes HS award program as part of the school's ceremony on June 2, 2015 and once again presented Cadet Gonzalez with the award as part of the North Wilkes HS award ceremony at the Stone Center in North Wilkesboro.
May 2, 2015
* The New River Chapter once again participated in providing support to the annual New River Marathon by manning one of the refreshment stations along the route.
* This year, due to a new course layout, we cheered on the 1/2 marathon runners from 8:00 to 10:00 AM and the full marathon runners from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
* Pictured (L to R) are Mik Mikulan, Cathy Ehrhardt, Steve Tucker, Betty Schuette, Ron Schuette, Monica Madden-Lynn and Doug Ehrhardt.
* The thumbnail shots to the right also show Doug Ehrhardt prepping a tray of endurance gel, small cups with M&M's and slices of bananas to help the runners nutritional needs near the end of the 26.2 mile route.
* The other picture is a shot of our tent with water and GatorAide on the race course...it was a BEAUTIFUL day for a race!
THANKS TO ALL THESE VOLUNTEERS for helping to support the marathon runners, but also support to our chapter as we receive a nice donation from the New River Marathon organizers for our scholarship program!
"In the Limelight"
* Captain Doug Ehrhardt, USN-Ret., President of the New River Chapter was honored with an "In the Limelight" biographical sketch in the March 2015 "Affiliate," MOAA's monthly eNewletter.
* Ehrhardt commented, "I was pleased when Kris Hegle, Contributing Editor for "Military Officer" magazine and the "Affiliate" called and asked if I would share my story on membership in MOAA, as well as my Council and Chapter experiences."
* After receiving an e-mail laundry list of topical questions, Kris also held two telephone interviews with Captain Ehrhardt to finalize an article that summarized efforts of his history with MOAA since 2009.
* "I'm grateful that the piece in the eNewsletter also included the names of other Council and Chapter officers with whom I have worked that make my contributions meaningful," Ehrhardt concluded....
* Open and read the Affiliate article.
February 24, 2015
* Pictured (right) is USN Captain (Ret.) Doug Ehrhardt, president of the New River Chapter, Military Officers Association of America, who presented Coffee House owner Julie Bethel-McGunegle with a certificate of appreciation. Since its chartering in 2009, the New River Chapter has held regular membership meetings at the Coffee House on the Backstreet in West Jefferson, NC.
* In presenting the award plaque, Ehrhardt shared the information from the certificate which extended the heartfelt appreciation by the New River Chapter for Julie's more than 5 years of providing generosity, hospitality and support.
* Beginning in March, the New River Chapter will begin holding dinner meetings at the Winner's Circle Restaurant in Jefferson, NC. Link to our calendar of events below for a description of our monthly activities and a map of the new location.
Link: Click here: