May 23, 2016
* The photograph (right) was taken at the Wilkes Central High School award ceremony at the Stone Family Center for Performing Arts in North Wilkesboro, NC on May 23, 2016.
* New River Chapter Personal Affairs Chair, Barbara Sears, surviving spouse of RADM Scott Sears, USN, in whose honor the Scholarship Award is named presented the award.
* Congratulations Cadet Walker!
May 14 & 17, 2016
* The New River Chapter presented MOAA Leadership Awards for the three Junior Reserve Officer Training Programs - 2 AF JROTC and 1 USA JROTC - in our catchment area, as follows:
* On May 14, 2016 Chapter Secretary Col Ken Lynn participated in the Wilkes Central High School AF JROTC Award Ceremony at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church that consisted of a sit down dinner with families and school administrators. Following the rendering of honors and presentation of the colors, the AF JROTC program was held and awards presented. The picture (above right) is AF JROTC Cadet Logan Jones who was the MOAA Leadership award recipient, along with the Commander and Assistant Principal of Wilkes Central HS.
* On May 17, 2016 Chapter Board Member LCDR Steve Tucker participated in the North Wilkes High School AF JROTC Award Ceremony which was held at the school cafeteria. The program included a dinner buffet for families and school administrators in attendance; honors were rendered to the colors, and the AF JROTC cadets held a formal ceremony at which time awards were presented. The picture (below right) is the MOAA Leadership Award recipient, AF JROTC Cadet Rosa Munoz-Maya.
* On May 17, 2017 Chapter Co-President Lou Burge participated in the JROTC award program at Ashe County High School. The MOAA Leadership award recipient was Cadet Jacob Evans-Shepherd (thumbnail photograph, right).
April 13, 2016
New River Chapter Past President and current President of the North Carolina Council of Chapters, CAPT Doug Ehrhardt, USN, Ret. participated in the annual MOAA Storming the Hill on April 13, 2016.
January 8, 2016
The North Carolina Council of Chapters Officer Installation Ceremony was held on January 8, 2016 at the Regal Ballantyne Theater in Charlotte, NC.
* Captain Douglas Ehrhardt, USN, Ret., was installed as President of the Council for 2016 and 2017. There are 16 Chapters in the North Carolina Council and Captain Ehrhardt will preside over the quarterly meetings held across the state at host chapters. Additionally, in 2017, there will be a convention of North Carolina Council members at which all state MOAA members are encouraged to attend and enjoy the camaraderie and activities of the biennial convention. In 2013, the Council had a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas, while in 2015, there was a land option that visited the historic High Hampton Inn in Cashiers, NC.
* Planning will get underway soon to plan a state convention and information will be forthcoming on this web site as soon as it is available.
October 31, 2015
* The 2015 Levels of Excellence Awards Ceremony held on October 31st at the Buena Vista Palace Hotel at Disney Springs as part of MOAA's Annual Meeting had the North Carolina Council of Chapters Presidents, or representatives from 8 of the 10 Council Chapters which earned recognition, in attendance to receive their streamers.
* Pictured (above right) is New River Chapter CAPT-Ret. Doug Ehrhardt, USN receiving the 5-star award from MOAA Chairman of the Board, GEN Tony Robertson, Jr., USAF-Ret.
November 4, 2015
* Bill Scarpino, one of the veterans recognized in our Chapter "Veteran's Recognition" program, passed away on Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at Forest Ridge.
* Bill was a WWII veteran who always had a good story to share or song to sing...he will be missed by his many friends in Ashe County.
* Rest in peace.