May 3, 2014
* Pictured (L to R): Wilkes Central HS AF JROTC Senior Aerospace Science Instructor and New River Chapter member LtCol Tim Fuller, USAF-Ret., MOAA Leadership awardee AF JROTC Cadet Staff Sergeant Taylor Locklear and New River Chapter Secretary Col. Ken Lynn, USAF-Ret.
* Cadet Locklear is the Charlie Flight Commander and the Public Affairs Officer for the AF JROTC unit.
* Congratulations Cadet Locklear.
May 8, 2014
* Pictured (L to R): North Wilkesboro HS AF JROTC Technical Sergeant (C/TSgt) Jared Kilby, MOAA Leadership awardee with New River Chapter Personal Affairs Chair Barbara Sears.
* MAJ Brad Kitts, Senior Aerospace Science Instructor, North Wilkesboro AF JROTC is pictured at the podium.
* Congratulations Cadet Kilby.
April 15, 2014
* New River's Col.-Ret. Ken Lynn, USAF, Chapter Secretary was awarded the MOAA Leadership Award by CAPT-Ret. Doug Ehrhardt, USN, President at the regular membership meeting in April.
* Ken's outstanding contributions to our chapter, as well as sustained, superior performance in producing our award winning New River Current newsletter six times/year during the four years since our chapter's chartering in 2009 were recognized with a letter from MOAA President VADM-Ret. Norb Ryan, USN and a lapel pin.
* Pictured (right) is Doug's presentation of the letter and pinning of the lapel pin to Ken's nametag...Ken remarked that had he known he was to receive an award, he would have worn something with a lapel for his evening's attire!
* Click on the below, downloadable file to open/read the commendation letter from VADM Ryan.
* CONGRATULATIONS, Col. Lynn!
April 10, 2014
* MOAA's Col Marvin J. Harrison Communication Award results were announced at the annual "Storming the Hill" event attended by state council representatives in Washington, DC.
* Along with six other NC Council awardees, the New River Chapter was recognized for excellence in three categories: print newsletter, electronic newsletter and chapter website.
* Click on the link below to open the post on the NC Council website (also recognized with an award) to learn about all the awards!
Link: Open the NC Council website by clicking here:
March 22, 2014
Click on the below link on CNN News to read about the return of the Navy's Blue Angels precision flying team after more than a year since they were grounded due to sequestration.
Link: Click here:
* It appears that the lobbying efforts by MOAA, supported by the 100's and 1,000's of e-mails sent in by members who receive the Legislative Alerts from MOAA, will soon be able to count the repeal of the 1% COLA hit that the Congress had proposed on the military.
* Open the below link, "Why Associations Matter", to read of other successes that MOAA has won on behalf of servicepersonnel - active, retired, former, Guard, Reserve and survivors of prior military personnel.
* THANK YOU, MOAA!
Readers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to log onto the MOAA website and sign up for the Legislative Alerts that get sent to registered e-mail addresses on a regular basis to make you aware of IMPORTANT TOPICS of real consequence to all military personnel.
The reversal of the COLA penalty to the military is just one more example of how your support to MOAA does make a difference!
Link: Link here:
* MOAA National published a list of the 2013 Levels of Excellence Award Winners, and for the 3rd straight year, the New River Chapter was selected as a 5-Star Chapter.
* MOAA’s topnotch council and chapters compete annually to receive a four- or five-star Levels of Excellence Award. The very best councils and chapters receive five-star awards, and above-average councils and chapters receive four-star awards.
* Follow the link below to open/read the full award list on the MOAA webpage. The Presidents of each chapter have been invited to attend the 2013 MOAA Annual Meeting in Colorado Springs, CO in November to receive their respective streamers.
* The North Carolina Council of Chapters award winners are as follows:
North Carolina Council - 5 Star Council
High Country Chapter - 5 Star Chapter
New River Chapter - 5 Star Chapter
Cape Fear Chapter - 4 Star Chapter
Coastal Carolina Chapter - 4 Star Chapter
Sandhills Chapter - 4 Star Chapter
Link: Click here: