The New River Chapter of the Military Officer Association of America will present a reprise showing of the award winning film, Hacksaw Ridge, at the Parkway Theater in West Jefferson, NC on three nights, beginning with Veterans Day, November 11, and continuing on November 12 and 13. The daily showings will be at 7:00 PM and are free but persons wanting to attend should visit the Ashe Chamber Visitor Center and request ticket(s) for one of the performances to ensure adequate seating.
* A representative of MOAA National, COL Terri Coles, USA (Ret.) will be a guest at the October 15 meeting of the New River Chapter. Board members will meet with COL Coles for a briefing, followed by a general meeting of the Chapter at The Venue, the new community meeting place adjacent to the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce in West Jefferson, NC. Following the one hour meeting to which all members and representatives from the public as well as other veteran organizations in the county are invited, the attendees will retire to the Hotel Tavern at 6:30 PM for drinks - dutch treat - and a dinner to enjoy the camaraderie of like minded veterans!
* Please JOIN US!
* The New River Chapter will host the 2019 Marathon Jam on Saturday, May 18th at the Ashe County Arts Council building in West Jefferson.
* The Jam is held to provide a venue for musicians - all levels of experience and selection of instruments - are welcome to come and enjoy "pickin' and grinnin' " with others from noon to midnight.
* Musicians are encouraged to seek sponsors who would be willing to pledge monies for their time of performing and all proceeds raised will be used to help support the Fisher Houses at Camp LeJeune and Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
* During the course of the day, breaks are held to recognize Ashe County Veterans for their service and presentations are made to them with "healing quilts" which are provided by the Ashe County Piecemakers Quilt Guild. Pictured below right, is one of the quilts presented to a Veteran at the 2018 Jam.
* Mark your calendar and plan to spend some, or all, of the day listening to good blue grass, and other types of music in West Jefferson.
Click on the Marathon Jam flyer pictured above right and save to your computer...print out a copy and post in on your refrigerator or with your calendar to remind you to help make the 2019 Marathon Jam our best ever!
The regular meeting of the New River Chapter was our holiday party and was held at Barbara Sears' home on November 17th...this was a date decided upon by our BOD to defeat ol' man winter who had brought cold and snow to prior years parties resulting in cancellations. Although icy weather occurred on the two days before, the weather on Saturday was characteristic of what is generally ideal for advertising by a town's Chamber of Commerce...that's probably due to the fact that West Jefferson was holding it's annual Christmas parade!!
* Pictured above right were party goers (top down): Hostess Barbara Sears, John Lorentz, Cathy Ehrhardt, Dillis Lorentz, Gloria Block, Jim Block, Mannon Eldreth, Kathy Griffin, Morris, Griffin, Mik Mikulan, Jim Cain, Robin Mikulan and Doug Ehrhardt.
* Pictured below right has Earl Inge standing where Doug was as they exchanged photographer duties!
* A big Chapter welcome is extended to potential new member, John Lorentz and his wife, Dillis, whose name was forwarded by Jim Gee after a social meeting in WJ.
* Open the thumbnail pictures (right) to see the scrumptuous goodies brought by chapter members so that a "good time was had by all"! Thanks to Mik Mikulan for the photos.
* Be sure to see pictures from our members decorating our PATRIOTIC entry for the Ashe County festival of trees by clicking here.