* The annual membership picnic for the New River Chapter was held at the Picnic Pavilion on the New River at Jefferson Landing from 2:00 - 5:00 PM and was a great success!
* Chapter members shared a bounty of brgers, dogs and side dishes and desserts brought by everyone.
* Follow this link to the photo gallery for pictures from the event!
* The New River Chapter annual picnic was held on August 9, 2015 at the home of Chapter 1st Vice President, COL Charles Knapp from 2:00 - 5:30 PM.
* The Sunday gathering attracted 28 members and guests.
* As has been our procedure - and good fortune - members and guests brought their favorite side dish, dessert or other delectable treat to share with fellow New River Chapter folks, and the eatin' was GOOD!
* COL Knapp contributed the beef for burgers from one of the cattle on his property.
* Pictured (above) are (L to R): Mik Mikulan, Robin Mikulan, Bill Horner, Joan Horner, Lee Eldreth, Mannon Eldreth, Ron Wilsbach, Sara Bashon, Paul Bashon, Mary Jacobs, Les Jacobs, Linda Gee, Jim Gee, Linda Marsh, Doug Ehrhardt, Mary Knapp, Horton Hobbs (guest of Linda Marsh), Kathleen Wilsbach, Barbara Sears, Charles Knapp, Lou Burge, Earl Inge (guest of Barbara Sears), Cathy Ehrhardt, Betty Schuette, Don Goodhart, Ron Schette, Ann Burge and Frances Goodhart.
* Pictured (below) is the New River Chapter's own bagpiper, Jim Gee, who entertained with several military selections!
* Pictured in the thumbnail photo to the right is an uninvited guest of the picnic (sorry, I couldn't find one resting on a porch seat cushion!) If you want more details, you need to talk with Mannon Eldreth...
* The New River Chapter gathered at the picnic pavilion at the Jefferson Landing Resort on August 9th.
* Everyone - members and guests - brought their favorite side dish, dessert or other delectable treat to share with fellow New River Chapter folks...as always, there was a wonderful mix of delectable choices to complement the burgers, franks, drinks and necessary plates, cups and cutlery that were provided...
As a special guest, Cabot Hamilton, Director of the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce attended presented information regarding potential opportunities for our Chapter to serve as consultants in Ashe County.
* The regular chapter summer membership picnic was preceded by the August 9-10, 2013 meeting at which time the New River Chapter co-hosted the North Carolina Council of Chapters quarterly meeting along with our sister chapter, the High Country Chapter.
* As co-hosts, our combined chapters welcomed the North Carolina Council, as well as Presidents from the other 15 state chapters who attended the meeting.
* The meeting location was the Club at Jefferson Landing...a gala dinner - with more than 100 attendees - took place on Friday, August 9th, and the Council meeting was held on Saturday, August 10th.
* The guest speaker was BGen James Walker, USMC-Ret., Deputy Director for Samaritans Purse International Projects and Executive Director for Operation Heal Our Patriots. General Walker shared his organizations commitment to support wounded servicepersonnel in their post-deployment struggles with marriage and relationships. The presentation was warmly received by all.
* Also, before the dinner was served, a special performance was given by Generation eXcellent, a group of 18 home-schooled children from Ashe County, who shared their special ministry of music with a song about the American flag, followed by the Stars Spangled Banner and a medley of service songs for the five branches of the military.
* There were many other events planned that proved to be highly successful and were enjoyed by all. The spouses, and other interested attendees were treated to a special performance by Libby Cockerham - Dr. Libby - who spoke on a variety of fashion secrets. On the afternoon of August 10th, several attendees took advantage of the opportunity to play the Jefferson Landing's award winning golf course...and ALMOST got in 18 holes before the rain!